Home Page

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Relish


I have a couple of favorite recipe sources (a few blogs, a book, and my Mom). You know how you have a couple of great successes with recipes from your sources, so you keep going back to the same place, over and over again? Well my sources are great that way - they have never let me down.

I wish I didn't have to reveal my sources, so you'd all think I was a GENIUS recipe comer-upper-wither. But, I guess in the interests of not STEALING other peoples ideas, I do have to site the source for this one. I got it from my all-time favorite cookbook, The New Dieters Cookbook, from Better Homes and Gardens.

I picked this recipe for a couple of reasons. First, I had just picked up one of those cast iron grills that fits over two elements on my gas stove and I was excited to try it out. Second, I love the combination of meat and fruit.

I did screw this recipe up, just slightly. I read it wrong. No, actually that's not true... I didn't read it at all. I've done this before, I look at the ingredient list then just assume that since I am such a great cook, I don't need further instruction... WRONG!

I made the pineapple relish ahead of time and let it sit, because I thought it looked like the sort of thing that would get better with some time for the flavours to ameldinate (I made that word up). The recipe called for 2 tsp of olive oil, so I went ahead and added it to the relish.

Then later, when I was cooking the chicken, I realized that the oil was SUPPOSED to be brushed on the chicken, so it wouldn't stick to my new fan-dangled grill!! Oops! So I added 2 MORE teaspoons of oil to the chicken. I know this totally throws off the calorie and fat content of the meal, but it was so good, my advice to you is.... throw caution to the wind and use 4 TEASPOONS of oil in this recipe!

Grilled Chicken with Pineapple Relish

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3/4 tsp cordamom
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups roughly chopped fresh pineapple
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
juice of 1/2 a lime

1. Make pineapple relish: mix together the pineapple, red pepper, green onion, jalapeno (I used bottled jalapenos) and cilantro. Mix in lime juice (and 2 tsp olive oil if you didn't read the recipe right).

2. Mix cordamom, salt and pepper together. Brush chicken with 2 tsp of olive oil and sprinkle with cordamom mixture.

3. Grill chicken until cooked through. Serve with pineapple relish.