Home Page

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Roasted Greek Potatoes


As promised in yesterday's post, here is the recipe for my Roasted Greek Potatoes. It is one of those recipes that I have been making for so many years (long before I had ever conceived of writing a food blog) that I have no idea who to give credit to. I have always kept the ingredients the same, but have played a lot with the cooking times, and amount of time covered/uncovered to achieve just that right combination of crispy and juicy. I love potatoes in just about any form, but this is one of my favorites because I think they come out just like those yummy potatoes you get when you order Greek takeout.

I have a convection oven, so if you don't you might have to increase the cooking time by about 20 minutes. Lining your baking dish with parchment is a must, or they will stick and you will be scrubbing for a week. Don't skimp on the lemon juice or the oregano. Trust me.

Roasted Greek Potatoes

5 large red potatoes, washed and not peeled
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Roughly chop potatoes and place in a parchment lined baking dish.

2. Mix garlic, lemon, oil, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes and mix around with a rubber spatula until all are coated.

3. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

4. Remove the foil, increase oven temperature to 400F and stir the potatoes around with a rubber spatula.

5. Continue cooking for 30 more minutes, stirring once to make sure all sides of the potatoes get brown. About 5 minutes before they're done, put the foil back on the dish. This softens them up nicely (if you prefer real crispy potatoes, skip this last step).