Home Page

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Seven Layer Mexican Dip


I thought I'd post one of my favorite old recipes, which many of my friends refer to as "THE DIP" (you have to say it with a DEEP voice). It is a really easy recipe to make, although I do admit that I never corrected anyone when they assumed it was a lot of hard work.

I haven't made THE DIP in a while, I use to bring it to parties back when I was in University. Actually, I think it was the reason I had friends. The problem was I got locked into it... if I ever showed up with something different, I would never hear the end of it, "where's THE DIP??"

This past weekend I decided it was time to resurrect THE DIP. Every Thursday night, I play on an Ultimate Frisbee team (GO Scorgasms GO!!) and on Sunday we held a practice followed by a Barbeque. I brought THE DIP to help feed my teammates. One of the guys on the team, also made a special request for some of my Soft Pesto Breadsticks, but he refused to share them with anyone.

I'm sorry I didn't get any good pictures of the inside of THE DIP, it felt a little weird to haul out my camera and start taking picture while everyone was digging in. It is very pretty on the inside with the layers of refried beans, guacamole and sour cream.

Seven Layer Mexican Dip

1 can refried beans
2 cups sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
dash hot sauce
2 ripe avocados
1 tbsp lime juice
1/3 cup onions, finely diced
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/3 cup jalapeno peppers, chopped

1. Mix the refried beans with 1/4 cup of sour cream, salt, cumin, and a dash of hot pepper sauce. Spread on the bottom of a shallow dish.

2. Mix the avocados, lime juice, 1/4 cup sour cream, onion and pepper flakes. Spread on top of the refried beans. (note: on the odd occasion when I was unable to find ripe avocados, I would resort to store bought guacamole for this layer, and my drunk friends never noticed...)

3. Spread the remaining sour cream on top of the guacamole.

4. Place the remaining ingredients on top in the following order: cheddar cheese, tomatoes, green onion, and jalapeno peppers. Serve with Tortilla chips.