Home Page

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Chocolate Mocha Mousse Filled Cupcakes


As promised yesterday, here are the cupcakes that I made for myself for my birthday. Believe it or not, I didn't try one. Yeah, I know, I am a bit neurotic... Mario goes out and I dive into the peanut butter with a spoon (because if no ones sees you eat it, the calories don't count, right? Sort of like, if a tree falls down in the forest and there was no one there to hear it, was it fattening?). But then I deprive myself of a cupcake on my birthday. Go figure. I'm blaming it on my Mom, because she's skinnier than me.

It's OK though, all is not lost. Mario and the kids are going out without me tonight, and there are still two left!! (he he he)

Anyway, according to all my many cupcake tasters, these ones were VERY VERY good. So why don't you whip yourself up a batch, and then go hide in the closet and eat them all!


I got this recipe from Chef Jules over at Gourmet a Go Go.

Chocolate Mocha Mousse Filled Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups strong brewed coffee, cooled

Filling:
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tbsp strong brewed coffee
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp icing sugar

Glaze:
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line or grease two 12 cup muffin tins.

2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until creamy. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients beating just until incorporated. Mix in coffee until smooth (don't overmix).

3. Fill 18 of the muffin tins with batter. Bake at 350F for 22-24 minutes, until tester comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely on racks.

4. For filling: combine chocolate chips and coffee in a double boiler. Stir until melted. Let cool slightly.

5. In a large bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Beat in the melted chocolate just until incorporated.

6. Cut a 3/4" cone out of the bottom of a cupcake. (note: I did this for the first few, and then for the rest, I cut the cone from the top. It will be covered with icing anyway). Cut the tip off the cone and discard (i.e. make you husband eat them all).

7. Fill each cupcake with filling and replace the reserved cones. Chill.

8. Make Glaze: In a double boiler heat cream until just starting to simmer. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Dip each cupcake into the chocolate. Chill until ready to serve.