Home Page

Friday, August 31, 2007

Snapper with Coffee Butter


This is going to be a strange one. Because although I did make this recipe, I'm not exactly sure what it is. You see, I tend to buy things like meats and fish in large quantities and package them up for freezing with my Foodsaver machine... greatest invention EVER. I've been known to go a little crazy with the Foodsaver machine, once I tried to vacuum seal a loaf of bread before I froze it, and flattened it down like a pancake (resuscitation efforts prooved futile). Anyway... usually, I label things, but this time I forgot. So this is really "Mystery fish with Coffee Butter", I'm not actually positive that it is snapper. But, I thought it was still worth it to post the recipe, since I think any white fish would work well.

I didn't know what to expect when I tried this recipe, because it actually calls for a fair amount of coffee and you can taste it. It was unusual, but also quite good. I would make this again, but the kids didn't touch it, and I do feel it is important for them to EAT (you know once in a while anyway). I would have thought that they'd at least eat the rice I served, but apparently, the fish TOUCHED the rice... saucy fish!


Grilled Snapper with Coffee Butter
from The Catfish Institute

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
4-6 mystery fish fillets

1. Combine all ingredients except fish fillets.

2. Brush mixture very thickly onto fillets.

3. Grill over direct coals for about 5 minutes per side until fish flakes with a fork (you can broil in oven also).

4. Brush the fillets with the coffee butter again (if you have any left)and serve.