Home Page

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Mixed Nut Bars


Does anyone else buy those big bags of mixed cracking nuts during the holidays and eat only a few? Actually, I usually end up left with a big bowl of everything but walnuts, since my father-in-law will come over and systematically pick out all of the walnuts (he has learned to just ignore my dirty looks).

Well here is a recipe that I discovered LAST YEAR to use up the leftover mixed nuts (or you could just do like my Mom and put them away and bring them out again the next Christmas.... ** eat the mixed nuts at my Mom's house at your own risk **)

Well, speaking of OLD NUTS (no not you Mom), these are the mixed nut bars that I made with the 2006 Christmas leftover nuts. I made them in January (before I started my blog). I sent some to Mario's work, kept some out for the kids, and put some in the freezer. I found them yesterday at the bottom. I'm really scared about what else might be down there, so I stopped looking after I discovered the mixed nut bars.

But at least now, I can report with confidence, that this recipe freezes well!

Back when I made these, I actually sat down and figured out the nutritional information per serving. It was a little shocking, so I destroyed it. Luckily, I have a good memory for these types of things, and I believe these were fat free!


Mixed Nut Bars

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 cup mixed nuts (measure after you remove the shells)
3/4 cup corn syrup
3 tbsp butter
1 cup butterscotch chips
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter

1. With a pastry blender, cut together the flour, icing sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. Press into an un-greased 9" x 13" pan. Bake 12 minutes at 350F.

2. Sprinkle nuts over crust.

3. In saucepan, melt 3 tbsp butter, butterscotch chips, and corn syrup. Pour over nuts. Bake 5 more minutes at 350F.

4. In another saucepan, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter. Spread over bars. Let stand until cool and cut into small rectangles (or big if you want, I don't care).