Home Page

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Banana Oatmeal Cookies


It seems like everytime I buy a bunch of bananas, one or two end up too ripe and get thrown in the freezer. I always try to mash the bananas first, and freeze them in baggies, because there is nothing worse than opening the freezer door and getting bombarded by an avalanche of disgusting black frozen bananas.

So, what do I normally do with all those frozen bananas? Well, of course I make banana muffins or banana muffins or banana bread. Thing is, then I get a glut of banana muffins in my freezer instead. There are just no huge muffin eaters in my family.... there are however, huge cookie eaters. So when I discovered this recipe for Banana Oatmeal Cookies, I new I was on to something BIG.

I made these for the first time on the weekend, and they were a major hit. Moist and chewy and the banana flavour wasn't over-powering. I will be making these again (I have enough bananas in the freezer for about 23 more batches!)

Banana Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups quick oats
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Beat shortening, sugar, egg and bananas well.

2. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

3. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.

4. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet.

5. Bake 10 minutes at 400F. Cool on wire rack.