Home Page

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Bacon Sausage and Goat Cheese Frittata


Have I ever written about how much I love to have breakfast for dinner? Probably, but let me go on about it again for a bit...

Breakfast foods are among my favorite things on the planet... Eggs Benedict, Stuffed Crepes, Sausage and Egg Biscuits... I would eat those types of meals every morning for breakfast, if I could. But sadly, my metabolism runs at the same speed as cold molasses, and so I really do have to stick with bran flakes most mornings. One way I get around this, and manage to get my fix of breakfasty goodness, is to have my breakfast foods at dinner time, right before I go to the gym.

Frittatas are a perfect dinner food, served with some potatoes and a nice side salad. My kids love eggs, so it is also something that they will eat well (as long as I don't go all crazy and start putting vegetables in the frittata).


Bacon Sausage and Goat Cheese Frittata
adapted from Rachel Ray

4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
4 breakfast sausages, cooked and chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
8 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
2/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Saute the onion in 1 tbsp olive oil over medium low heat until softened. Let cool.

2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the onion, the bacon and sausage, the cheeses and the salt and pepper.

3. Coat a 10" inch ovenproof skillet with the remaining oil. Add the egg mixture and cook over medium-low heat until the sides start to set, about 3 minutes.

4. Bake at 325F until the frittata is firm, 20 to 25 minutes.

5. Gently run a rubber spatula around the sides of the skillet to loosen and carefully flip the frittata out onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges to serve.