Home Page

Friday, June 1, 2007

Breakfast Biscuit with Sausage and Egg


Each morning from Monday to Friday I chow down on some plain wheat toast or Bran Flakes Cereal so that I can justify whipping up a fabulous weekend breakfast on Saturday or Sunday (or both). What usually happens is that I am feeling so deprived by the time Saturday rolls around that I create a breakfast so incredibly bad for me, that it completely wipes out all the calories I saved eating saw dust with skim milk all week long.

I think I could say that breakfast is my favorite meal, and I could easily eat breakfast food three times a day. Problem is I prefer sausage to lean ham, fried eggs to poached, homefries to no homefries... you get the idea. I put tomato on my breakfast biscuit, but after the first two bites, I removed it and ate it separately, I didn't want any vegetables getting in the way of tasting the ooey gooey fattiness of my treat.

So without further ado, my lastest breakfast creation from the past weekend, which was inspired by a post I saw over at Breakfast Blogger.

Breakfast Biscuit with Sausage and Egg
serves 4

Baking Powder Biscuits:
(from Fanny Farmer)
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup milk

Biscuit Filling:
butter
4 eggs
4 sausage patties
4 slices tomato
4 slices cheddar cheese

1. Make biscuits: Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender. Add the milk and stir until a dough forms.

2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly about 14 times. Roll out oto a 1/2" thickness and cut into rounds with a cookie cutter (note: I made 4 biscuits slightly larger - about 4" in diametre to accomodate my fillings, and the rest I made smaller 2" in diametre for putting in the kids lunches)

3. Bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes.

4. While the biscuits are baking prepare the filling. Fry the sausage rounds, and drain on paper towels. Fry the eggs - I have egg rings that I use for this to keep the eggs just the right shape for the buns.

5. Split open piping hot biscuit. Butter them and add egg, sausage, cheese and tomato (if you like).