Home Page

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bruschetta


This is one of my Mom's recipe's. Our family has always eaten bruschetta often in the summertime. When I was young, that would consist of thick slices of crusty bread toasted on the Barbeque. My Dad would bring the hot grilled bread to the table and we would each rub our bread with a clove of garlic, drizzle it with olive oil, and then season it with freshly ground pepper. Hmmm, I ought to make it that way again sometime, because ever since my Mom discovered bruschetta with tomatoes, we've been having it this way.

This is really best with fresh tomatoes from your garden, or somebody else's garden, if you can't grow anything like me. Claire doesn't like tomatoes, so we just put some juice from the bowl of tomatoes and some Parmesan Cheese on hers. Marco usually loves tomatoes, but when he saw how Claire was eating hers, he brushed all his tomatoes off onto the floor... HELLO! Then I wouldn't let him go out to play until he had cleaned it all up... he was crying, "I'm too little to clean", it was quite the ordeal.

Bruschetta

6 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp lime juice
2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 loaf crusty Italian bread
freshly grated Parmesan

1. Mix first 8 ingredients.

2. Serve on grilled crusty Italian bread with lots of fresh Parmesan.