I hate to admit this, but sometimes in the winter we make this meal once a week! And since we can't go the entire summer without having it at least a few times, I save it for rainy days. It is just so good and so easy to make. You don't even have to remember to take the sausages out of the freezer in the morning because they slice easier when they are mostly frozen. You can add whatever vegetables you like - we usually stick with mushrooms, onion, green pepper. When I have them, I love to add canned artichoke hearts. The general rule to follow is about equal parts meat and veggies.
Italian Sausage with Whole Wheat Penne
1 package hot Italian sausages (5-6 sausages)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
freshly ground pepper
2 cups whole wheat penne
freshly grated Parmesan
1. Slice Italian sausages into 1/4" slices. Brown in a skillet and drain fat.
2. Add green pepper, onion and mushroom. Sauté until cooked.
3. Add canned tomatoes and freshly ground pepper. If you are using spicy Italian sausages I fund that no other seasoning is necessary, but if you prefer mild you may want to add a tsp of some Italian seasoning (oregano, basil etc).
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta. Continue to simmer sausage mixture while pasta cooks.
5. Here is where you have a choice: you can serve the sausage mixture OVER the pasta, or mix it all together in the skillet (always prefer the later). Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and serve with salad.