Home Page

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fig and Cheese Phyllo Triangles


A little while ago, one of my readers, Lisa from Lisa B in da City, left the following comment on my Dark Chocolate Souffle post...."Are you up for a challenge? I'm looking for a low carb, low sugar, lowfat dessert. With no berries."

Well Lisa, I have never been able to turn down a challenge.... and YES, that has gotten me into some pretty hot water in the past! (especially if I've been drinking, but luckily for all my cohorts in crime, this isn't a "bare your soul" sort of blog!)

This recipe for Fig and Cheese Phyllo Triangles, meets Lisa's criteria. There are approximately 100 calories, 2g fat, and 20g carbs per turnover (we each ate 2 for dessert).

These were delicious and quite sweet. When I make them again, I will try cutting down the sugar by half. I would still sprinkle the sugar between the layers of the phyllo, but I would leave it out of the filling completely because the figs and fruit juice concentrate should be sweet enough on their own.

Anybody else have a request? Bring it on!


Fig and Cheese Phyllo Triangles

1/3 cup dried figs, finely chopped
3 tbsp frozen fruit juice concentrate
1/3 tsp cinnamon
2 oz low fat cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp egg substitute
6 sheets phyllo pastry
cooking spray
1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
powdered sugar

1. Combine chopped up figs with frozen juice and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium bowl beat together the cream cheese, egg substitute and 2 tbsp of sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the figs.

3. On a large surface layout one sheet of phyllo pastry. Spray it with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1 tsp of sugar and 2 tsp of graham crumbs. Repeat with two more sheets of pastry. Cut the large rectangle horizontally into six strips. Place a mounded tablespoon of filling at the bottom of each strip and fold them up into triangles.

4. Repeat with the remaining three sheets of phyllo pastry.

5. Spray outside of triangles lightly with cooking spray and bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

6. Sprinkle with icing sugar.