Home Page

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ginger Sparklers


Well, the last few days I have been running a little poll in my sidebar. It was just for fun to help settle a minor domestic issue that Mario and I are having, concerning who will get more time behind the wheel of our brand new car, which we get next week.

I assumed that I would win by a landslide, considering this is MY site and all. But obviously Mario must have been buying votes, because the outcome is very close (50/50 right now). So... thank you to all my "loyal" readers!! Maybe since you all like Mario so much, I ought to just turn the site over to him ... but he might have to change the name to "Mario is Single"...

Seriously, you guys better start being nicer to me, one of these times when you aren't paying attention, I'm going to add a cup of salt to one of my recipes! Ha take that!

So speaking of recipe's....today's is a good one.


These cookies are a little bit of a blast from my past. My Mom used to make these when we were little. She got the recipe from an old Robin Hood Flour cookbook and I still work from a wrinkly-grease stained photocopy of the original page.

There is just something about the flavour of these cookies, I don't know what it is, but they are so GOOD. And the sugar on the outside gives them a delightful little crunch. The recipe makes 50 cookies.

Ginger Sparklers

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
sugar

1. Whisk together the flour, salt and spices.

2. Cream together the butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg.

3. Pour dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Mix well.

4. Roll into small 1" balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place 2" apart on a greased baking sheet.

5. Bake at 375°F for 8-10 minutes.