Home Page

Sunday, June 3, 2007

Secret Barbeque Sauce


Last night Mario and I went to the Hockey game, it was game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals. The atmosphere was unbelievable. When the Ottawa Senators first came on the ice, the crowd was cheering so loud my ears were ringing. I looked over at Mario, there was a tear running down his cheek. Alright, that's cool. Although I'd like to point out that he didn't get that emotional at our wedding, or when our kids were born....that story has nothing to do with food, except that I think this recipe is something to get emotional about.

This is our "not-so-secret-anymore-Secret BBQ Sauce". We used to always use a bottled BBQ sauce when we grilled Ribs or Chicken, and although we found a favorite and still really like it, I just wanted to have my own sauce. Now when people come for dinner I can say "Oh it's a top secret BBQ sauce recipe" and I don't have to hide the store bought bottle in the back of the fridge so nobody will see it and rat me out.

My main goal when I was developing this recipe was to replicate our favorite bottled sauce, But I think I may have actually improved on it. This recipe makes about 5 cups of BBQ sauce and I store it in a bottle in the fridge. I'm not sure how long it would last, because I've never had any go bad on me. We usually use up the entire batch within a month in the summer.

The picture above is the Secret Barbeque Sauce on Baby Back Ribs that were grilled on a charcoal grill over indirect heat. The picture below shows the Secret Barbeque Sauce on Chicken Thighs that were grilled on a charcoal grill over direct heat.


Secret Barbeque Sauce

1 cup Worchestershire sauce
1 cup Ketchup
1 cup black coffee
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, minced

1. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

2. Let cool and pour into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.