Home Page

Monday, June 25, 2007

Peach Squares


When I saw that the theme for this month's Sugar High Friday was "Cravings", I knew I had to make this recipe. This was my all-time favorite dessert as a child, and my Mom used to make it often. I haven't had it for so long, I wasn't even sure I would still like it, since most people's tastes mature as they become adults. Well apparently that didn't happen to me, I still love this dessert.

Unfortunately my love for this dessert was not genetic, because my kids completely turned their noses up at it. And since Mario hates coconut, I don't think that this one will become a staple in my home, as it was in my Mother's.

Still, I would wholeheartedly recommend this dessert to anyone who loves coconut, and peaches, and cold, no-bake simple desserts.

I can't wait to see the rest of the Sugar High Friday Round up over at the Domestic Goddess, once Jennifer has a chance to post all the entries, maybe I will find a new craving that the rest of my family will eat...

Peach Squares
serves 9

Graham Wafers
1 package Dream Whip
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 can peaches (14oz), drained and coarsely mashed
1/2 cup sugar

1. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, coconut and mashed peaches.

2. Line bottom of greased 9"x9" pan with graham wafers. Cover with peach mixture. Cover with more graham wafers (in my excitement, I completely forgot to add the top layer of graham wafers - oops).

3. Prepare Dream Whip according to package instructions and spread over top.

4. Sprinkle with graham crumbs or coconut. Chill 3-4 hours and cut into squares.