Home Page

Monday, October 22, 2007

Mud Pies


This was a favorite of mine growing up, and was a recipe that my Grandmother used to make. I haven't made them in a while, but my Mom recently reminded me about them. Apparently one of my cousins, who lives in Ireland and reads my blog, asked my Mom if I was going to post "Grandma's Mud Pie's".

Well of course I am, Susan!

The reason I don't make these as often as I like has a lot to do with the fact that Mario hates coconut. I usually try to make sweets where I can sample one or two and then leave it up to him to polish off the rest. Well he won't touch a mud pie! I think I am going to try to make them again, but find something to replace the coconut... maybe some graham cracker crumbs? or chopped nuts? I'd welcome suggestions...

Another interesting little tidbit... when I pulled out my battered and beaten recipe card to make these, I noticed that my Mom had written, "Mrs. Pearson's Mud Pies". Well who the heck is Mrs. Pearson? Apparently, my Grandmother clipped this recipe out of the Newfoundland Telegram many many years ago, and Mrs. Pearson would be the wife of former Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.

Mud Pies

2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
5 tbsp cocoa
1 cup fine coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick cooking oats

1. In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, milk, shortening, cocoa, salt and vanilla. Bring to a boil and remove from heat at once.

2. Add oats and coconut. Stir well.

3. Cool a bit and drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with waxed paper. Chill until set.