Home Page

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Individual Mexican Meat Cups



I think I've written before about the difficulty I have sometimes with naming recipes that I've created myself. You can either give something a meaningless name like, "Beef a la Janet" or you can try to capture what it is you've made in the title of the recipe. Hence, "Individual Mexican Meat Cups".... although, that name does make me think of a Made in Mexico Jock Strap... oh well, lets try not to dwell on that image, and concentrate on the recipe... shall we?

I got the idea for using flour tortillas as cups from another blog, the Culinary Chase, but I created my own filling.

This recipe was VERY popular. Mario and the kids LOVED it. I ate a stupid frozen Lean Cuisine meal while they ate it. That is because this blog is making me FAT. Yes that's right, I entirely blame the BLOG, not all the artery clogging fattening food I shovel in... don't ask, I have issues.

Individual Mexican Meat Cups

1 lb ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 can rice and black beans
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tsp taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
6 flour tortillas
cooking spray

1. In a non stick skillet, brown the beef and onions in a small amount of oil. Drain any fat and add the rice and black beans, tomatoes and taco seasoning. Add 1/2 cup water, and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

2. Fit tortillas inside 6 large muffin tins. Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake at 400F for 10 minutes.

3. Fill tortilla shells with meat filling and top with cheddar cheese. Bake another 10 minutes at 400F or until cheese is all melted. (hint: the filling was still hot when I put this in the oven, if you make it ahead and the filling has cooled, it might need a bit more cooking time).

4. Serve with sour cream.