Home Page

Friday, August 24, 2007

Couscous with Tomato and Olives


I can't tell you how much I love couscous. I only really discovered couscous about 2 or 3 years ago, but since then I can't get enough. I make it during the week, just about anytime I would have previously cooked rice, because couscous is simple and lightening quick. You just add boiling water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Voila. Done. You can add anything that tickles your fancy. Make it with stock instead of water, add garlic, veggies, lemon, white wine. Anything. Once I made it with apple juice and added cinnamon and raisins to go with a pork roast. Yum!

This is the couscous that I made to go along with the lamb chops that I posted yesterday. I wanted it to have a sort of Mediterranean feel so I added a lot of the things I would normally put in a Greek salad. It turned out perfect. The leftovers of this dish we ate cold the next day as a salad and it was equally good that way.

Couscous with Tomato and Olives

1 1/2 cup water
1 cup couscous
2 tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
2 tsp fresh dill, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring water to a boil. Add couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for about 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, in a bottle mix together the dressing (olive oil, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper). Shake the bottle well to thicken the dressing.

3. Add onions, tomatoes, feta and olives along with dressing to the couscous. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.