Home Page

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Greek Salad


A couple of weeks ago, I got an e-mail from a friend of mine, "Do you have a recipe for a good Greek Salad?". Of course I do! Look who you're asking! Problem was all my recipes are tucked away in my recipe file at home, and I was at work. So, I gave her my recipe from memory (this was actually fairly irresponsible of me, as it had the potential for a great deal of reputational risk). But I figured, it's a salad, as if I don't know how to throw together a basic Greek Salad off the top of my head.

So, I sent my makeshift memorized recipe, and I never heard back. No news is good news right? Unless I poisoned everyone, then no news is bad news...

A few weeks later, this same friend had Mario and I over for dinner. She served Greek Salad. It was FABULOUS! I kept commenting, "Andrea, this is the BEST Greek Salad I've ever had". She says, "um Janet, it's YOUR recipe."....

"oh."

I get home, and I immediately dig up my original Greek Salad recipe as well as the e-mail I had sent her with my memorized recipe. They were different! Ooops.

But it's OK, as it turns out, I am brilliant and I should really just stop following recipes altogether. I had remembered the basic ingredients pretty well, but I had the proportions messed up. I guess it was one of those mistakes that turns out to be a good thing... like moldy bread that cures infections (yes, that's right, I just compared myself to Alexander Flemming). But, please don't underestimate the importance of a really good Greek Salad recipe. I've made it twice in the last week.


Greek Salad
adapted from my own recipe, by mistake

1 large head Romaine Lettuce
1/2 half red onion, sliced
1 English Cucumber, sliced
1 cup Kalamata olives
1 cup Greek Feta, crumbled

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper

1. Place lettuce in a large bowl.

2. Mix dressing ingredients in a bottle and give it a good shake.

3. Toss lettuce with about 1/2 the dressing.

4. Place remaining salad ingredients on top of lettuce, and drizzle with some more dressing.