Home Page

Monday, July 16, 2007

Crunchy Lime Tilapia with Almonds


We try to eat some sort of fish or seafood at least a couple of times per week. It is very healthy and Mario and I love it in just about any form. Getting the kids to eat it, however, is another matter. But when I served this meal, Marco picked the fish right up in his hands and ate it like it was a big cookie. I was so excited he ate it, that I supressed my usual lecture about utensils and table manners.

This recipe got a great reaction from Mario too. Usually, I have to actually ASK him if he liked something. It is very rare that I get an UNSOLICITED compliment. But this time, when he took the first bite, it elicited an almost involuntary "hmmm". Then he dug right in for more. I said, "I guess that means you like it?" Mario: "mmmm, hhhhmm, mmhhhh, mwah". Well, I didn't need an on-line translator to tell me that was man-grunt for: "This is the best meal you ever made, I hereby pronounce you Ruler of this House".

Crunchy Lime Tilapia with Almonds
adapted from the Kellogg's Website

1 pound Tilapia fillets
2 cups Rice Krispies (crushed to about 1 cup)
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1/4 cup flour
2 egg whites
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
cooking spray

1. In one bowl mix together Rice Krispies, almonds and parsley.

2. In another bowl mix egg whites, lime juice, salt, pepper and ginger.

3. Dredge fish fillets with flour, dip into egg/lime mixture and press into Rice Krispies. Press crumbs on firmly so the fish gets well coated.

4. Place fish on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Spray a little more cooking spray on top of the fish. Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes, turning halfway, until browned and cooked through.

5. Serve with Mango-Lime salsa or Chipotle Sauce (I mixed some Chipotle Dip with light Miracle Whip for the sauce)