Home Page

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Stuffed French Toast


This was breakfast from a couple of weeks ago. I did really good that weekend, I didn't have any fatty breakfast food. Sometimes though when I am minding my calorie intake and not eating anything that is very fattening (or really any good) I feel a little guilty for depriving my family of their nice treats. So on this particular Sunday, I made french toast stuffed with banana, chocolate and peanut butter for Claire and Marco. Mario got egg and cheese on a bagel with homefries and I had cornflakes with 1/2 a sliced banana.... talk about a short order cook!

Needless to say it was agonizing to sit across the table and watch them eat this, I very nearly leapt across the table and ripped the fork out of Marco's chubby little hands (I figured I could take the 4 year old easier than the 7 year old).

Stuffed French Toast

4 slices of bread
1 ripe banana
2 tbsp chocolate chips
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 eggs
2 tbsp milk
oil for frying

1. Assemble french toast sandwiches. Spread 2 slices of bread with peanut butter. Sprinkle chocolate chips on peanut butter. Layer with sliced banana, and top with remaining slices of bread.

2. Beat eggs with milk. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture and let sit for about 10 minutes.

3. Fry in a small amount of oil on both sides until golden brown. Serve drizzled with maple syrup.