Home Page

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Caramel Pecan Brownies


I have to say these brownies were the tastiest flop I've ever made, unlike my most famous flop, Haupia, which came out tasting nasty. Actually, it might not even be fair to call these brownies a flop, it is just that they didn't really turn out how I had imagined they would.

It simply didn't seem to matter how long I left them in the oven, they never cooked! In fact at one point, after I had left them in twenty minutes beyond the recommended cooking time, I took them out thinking, they have to be cooked now. I waited for them to cool and tried to cut them.... they were still like all squishy in the middle. So I committed a cardinal sin and put them BACK in the oven at that point, for about 30 more minutes. Same result.

In the end, just to be able to cut them into squares, I put the whole pan in the freezer for an hour. Then I hacked away at them until they were all cut. I stored them in the fridge, and to be honest they were the yummiest little things. They were just a lot more fudge-like than brownie-like.

So I guess I could have just called them "Caramel Pecan Fudge" and not fessed up about the flopped-ness of the recipe. But I like to think I am honest blogger, and as anyone who cooks much will know, not everything turns out they way you were hoping it would!



Caramel Pecan Brownies

4 squares (1 oz each) unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 package (14 oz) caramels
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
1 package (12 oz) chocolate chips

1. Heat unsweetened chocolate and butter in a saucepan until melted. Stir in sugar. Beat in eggs. Stir in flour until well blended.

2. Spread half the mixture in a greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes at 350F.

3. Meanwhile combine caramels and cream in a saucepan and melt over low heat. Stir until smooth. Stir in 1 cup pecans.

4. Spread caramel mixture over partially baked brownies. Sprinkle with half the chocolate chips. Pour remaining brownie batter over the top. Sprinkle with last of pecans and chocolate chips.

5. bake for 25 to 30 more minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.

6. Hope for the best.