Home Page

Monday, July 30, 2007

Penne with Mascarpone and Walnuts


I had a really nice weekend. Mario and I were invited to a dinner party Saturday night, so I got to eat a fabulous meal (prepared by somebody else - YAY). On Sunday, I got to meet a fellow food blogger from Ottawa. I got together with Quellia from All Things Edible for a coffee and a nice chat. It was really nice to hang out with somebody who understands this weird food blogging obsession of mine!

I actually didn't end up doing that much cooking this weekend, so I had to go back to last week to find something to post this morning. This was our dinner Thursday night, and you don't hear me say this too often.... the kids loved it. This was the first time we had these Barese sausages, we really enjoyed the flavour and the kids were drawn to the spiral shape. There is absolutely no recipe to go along with the sausages, we just grilled them on the barbecue.

The sidedish, however, was a nice creamy pasta that I made because I needed to use up the rest of the tub of Mascarpone that I bought to make the Mascarpone, Fig and Proscuitto Bruschetta. The pasta was delicious.


Penne with Mascarpone and Walnuts
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Website

6 oz dry whole wheat penne
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 tbsp butter
4 oz marsarpone cheese (you could also use cream cheese)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
freshly grated pepper

1. While the penne is boiling, heat the butter in a saucepan and cook green onions for about a minute.

2. Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir in Parmesan and walnuts.

3. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Season with freshly ground pepper.