Home Page

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Maple Bourbon Barbecued Chicken


I saw this recipe over on one of my favorite food blogs, Kirsten's Home Cooking. Kirsten made this recipe with pork, but it appealed to me so much, I just needed to make it right away even though I didn't have pork in the house.

I mixed the marinade up in the morning before I left for work. I put the marinade and the chicken breasts into a Tupperware container and went to give it a little shake to coat all the sides of the chicken. Well, the container wasn't shut properly so I squirted marinade all over my work clothes. I hate it when my days start out like that.

It turned out to be worth the wrecked blouse though, it was absolutely delicious. I cooked the chicken with the skin to retain the moisture, but I peeled it off and discarded it after the pictures (it nearly made me cry to do that).

And, yes, that is the exact same rice that you saw in my pictures yesterday AND the day before, and there are still leftovers....

I also made steamed green beans. When I steam green beans I like to take a big bowl and put in 1 tsp of butter, 1 tbsp Parmesan, 1 tbsp real bacon bits, and a squirt of fresh lemon juice. When the beans are finished steaming dump them in the bowl and toss them around until the butter is melted. That's only 1 tsp of butter between four people, but it makes it so much better.

Maple Bourbon Barbecued Chicken

4 chicken breasts (bone-in, skin on)
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 heaping tbsp whole grain mustard
1-2 cloves garlic (I used two)
1 tsp each salt and pepper

1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl, mix well.

2. Add chicken and marinate for 4-8 hours. (Tip: to save time I throw the chicken in the marinade frozen right out of the freezer, and then it is thawed and ready to go when I get home).

3. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and give to your husband to BBQ. Warn him that if he returns them burnt, there will be hell to pay.