Home Page

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Krista's Couscous Salad


My dishwasher is broken. My dishwasher has been broken for 83 days and counting (my dishwasher naturally waited only 32 days past the expiry of the warranty period to stop washing my dishes). Mario seems to think it should be my job to schedule a repairman to come and fix the dishwasher. I wonder why? Is it because dishwashing is my responsibility? (don't get me started on that).

So, I am refusing to schedule the dishwasher repair! (Yes, I know... maybe I LIKE to shoot myself in the foot... OK?) Mario also seems to have dug his heels in on this one. I don't know what to do. I am tempted to just go out and buy a NEW dishwasher, because my stubborn streak could never extend to a shopping embargo. So if anyone would like to take pity on us, and save our marriage, could you please call a repairman?.... My dishwasher is a Frigidaire model #PLD2855RFC, and I think it has an electrical problem. Phew thanks.

Alright, well here's a recipe that doesn't dirt too many dishes! This is a delicious couscous salad recipe that I 'borrowed' from my friend Krista. Krista used to bring this salad to a lot of parties but she doesn't anymore because the recipe has 'jumped the shark'. FYI - Jumping the Shark is my new favorite expression, check it out on Wikipedia.

Krista's Couscous Salad

1 cup couscous
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cucumber, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup crumbled feta
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
parsley to garnish

1. In a bowl mix cucumbers, vinegar and garlic. Let sit 20 minutes to marinate.

2. In another bowl (see only 2 dirty bowls), add boiling water to couscous and chicken stock. Mix and let cool.

3. Once couscous is cool, add cucumber mixture, onion, tomatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir in feta. Garnish with parsley. (Note: the Feta was my addition and not in Krista's original recipe).