Home Page

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Haupia


I received a comment on one of my posts yesterday, somebody ACTUALLY made the Filet Mignon recipe that I posted. This makes me nervous. I don't know why, it's as though I'm afraid that for some reason the recipe won't turn out right - the way it did in the picture - and I will be exposed as the food blogging fraudster that I really am.

So that is why, I am adding a small disclaimer to this post. This recipe for Haupia (a Hawaiian Coconut dessert) is not really that good. Yet, it is WHITE, which was the main requirement for Sugar High Friday #31. I don't remember reading anything in the post on Tara's site, Seven Spoons, about this recipe having to taste good. I don't want to insult Haupia loving foodies all around the world, and I'm sure there are many, but this was a little like eating that stuff you used when you were a kid to stick the strips of newspaper onto the balloon...."paper mache with coconut"... I'm certain I must have done something wrong.

One of the problems might have been that I've never eaten, or even seen Haupia before, so I had no idea how it was supposed to be served. The recipe said to pour the mixture into a shallow baking dish to set in the fridge, and then cut it into squares. From this I assumed that you were intended to pick those squares up and eat them.... stapling Jello to the wall might have been easier. After I figured out that the "square configuration" wasn't going to work, I snapped a few pictures and tried transfering the squares to an ice cream dish.... what I ended up with was some lumpy looking blobs of gelatenous white stuff (I won't take that analogy any further).


Anyway, I'm going to chalk this one up to experimentation and post the recipe anyway, but I am truly not expecting to win any accolades for my first submission to Sugar High Friday. If anyone has ever made Haupia with a higher degree of success, I'd love to hear from you.

Haupia

3 cups coconut milk
5 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
4 1/2 tbsp sugar
pinch salt

1. Mix coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened.

2. Pout into a shallow dish and chill until set.

3. Cut into squares (but whatever you do, don't try to pick up said squares).