Home Page

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Caesar Potato Salad


I wanted to make a nice potato salad on the weekend to go alongside the BBQed steak I served when my Mom and Dad came to dinner. I do have a regular potato salad recipe that uses a can of cream of celery soup, but I was also trying to think up a recipe that I could submit to my next blog event. Hay Hay its Donna Day 12 is being hosted by Katie B over at Other People's Food and the theme this month is "Caesar Salad". So I decided to combine my love of potato salad with my love of Caesar salad.

This actually turned out quite nicely (which still sometimes surprises me, when I don't follow a recipe and try to create a dish all on my own). It really did taste like Caesar Salad, but with potatoes. I thought it might also be nice to add some cooked sliced chicken breast and serve this on a bed of Romaine lettuce, as a meal in itself.

I started off by mixing the sauce, and I ended up making about twice as much as I needed for the amount of potatoes that I made. I will post the full amounts, so I don't screw anything up in the conversion, but unless you are having a BIG potato salad party, you might consider cutting this in half. Then again, leftover potato salad is not a bad thing. One more note: I used light miracle whip in the dressing, but if I was actually making this for guests (Mom and Dad don't count as guests), then I might have used "real" mayo, and I think it would have been even better! I usually make a comment about whether or not my kids liked the recipe, but I honestly can't remember, I guess I was too busy stuffing my pie-hole with potato salad and steak to pay attention to them.

Caesar Potato Salad

1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp chives, chopped
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
6 slices Bacon, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
pinch cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
10 medium red potatoes, washed and not peeled

1. Boil potatoes in a pot of salted water about 20 minutes, or until a metal skewer can be inserted easily into the largest potato. Drain and let cool.

2. Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, chives, mustard, garlic, Parmesan and bacon. Season with pepper.

3. Chop potatoes into large rough chunks and mix with sauce until all are coated. Sprinkle top lightly with Cayenne pepper.