Home Page

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Grilled Teriyaki Salmon and Salad with Japanese Ginger Dressing


I have always loved the Ginger Salad Dressing that you are served in most Japanese restaurants (it's a "lick the plate" sort of love). So, I embarked on a quest to re-create this dressing at home. I think I was fairly successful, but I honestly don't know if I will make this again just due to the sheer number of ingredients involved. Besides, its such a treat go out and have it served to me in a restaurant. For the salad itself, I used roughly chopped iceberg lettuce, one grated carrot, and one chopped stalk of celery. For the life of me, I couldn't really remember what other vegetables are typically found in this sort of salad...

Also for dinner I made Grilled Teriyaki Salmon which was very simple. I served the salmon and salad with some leftover rice that came from a local takeout greek place called Greek on Wheels. The kids pretty much only ate the rice. Figures.

Japanese Ginger Salad Dressing

1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons minced celery
1 tablespoons ketchup
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor and whiz until well blended and vegetables are pureed.

Grilled Teriyaki Salmon

4 salmon fillets
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced onion

1. Mix teriyaki with garlic, onion, and ginger.

2. Pour over salmon in a shallow dish. Let marinate about 30 minutes.

3. Grill salmon on BBQ or under broiler about 3 minutes per side.