Home Page

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Garlic Shrimp with Barley Salad


Many nights for dinner I actually follow recipes, even making special trips to the grocery store for just the right ingredients (ask Mario about my grocery shopping addiction...). But sometimes, I get lazy and I just toss something together on the fly. Sometimes that works out fabulously and other times.... well those dinners don't get posted. This one was pretty adequate.

I rummaged around in the deep freeze before breakfast, totally undecided about what I would make.... roast pork - takes too long, ribs - ditto, chicken breast - don't feel like it, italian sausages - too fattening, chicken nuggets - too pre-made.... then ah-ha from the scary depths of the freezer I pulled a bag of frozen (duh) raw peeled tiger shrimp. I can ALWAYS figure out something to do with shrimp.

Before I left for work I put the shrimp in a covered dish with about a 1/4 cup of olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic to marinate in the fridge. Then I sat at my desk at work all day, thinking about my shrimp, and surfing the internet (but just a little bit I promise) for ideas on how to complete what I started.

Sometime after my second cup of coffee, I remember that I had a container of leftover cooked barley in the fridge, and so I concocted a "barley salad" that is loosely based on my friend, Krista's, recipe for "couscous salad" (which I may post someday, if she doesn't mind).

Sautéed Garlic Shrimp

1lb raw shrimp
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Splash of white wine
salt and pepper

1. Marinate shrimp in garlic and olive oil.

2. When ready to eat scoop shrimp out of the marinade with a slotted spoon (don't need to get ALL that oil). Place in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté for a few minutes, until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Add a splash of white wine and season while cooking.

Barley Salad

1 1/2 cups cooked barley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper

1. Mix together lemon juice, and olive oil and pour over all remaining ingredients. Mix it all up until everything is coated. Season to taste.