Home Page

Monday, May 28, 2007

Seven Year Old Pizza


No, you didn't read the title of this post wrong, and No, I'm not trying to poison anyone. I don't know if anyone is actually going to want to make this recipe, it is the creation of my seven year old daughter, Claire. But I don't want to sell her short, so let me tell you about it first.

For Mother's Day, Claire gave me a coupon which entitled me to "two meals prepared by Claire". She's been harrassing me about it daily, so I decided I had better redeem it. First I re-negotiated the terms of the coupon, instead of two meals, I wanted one meal which included "clean up". Claire readily agreed.

I decided to buy some specific ingredients for her to work with, lest we end up eating macaroni and cheese topped with chocolate chips and peanut butter or something. So I bought, and set out on the counter, some: whole wheat flat bread, whole wheat penne, bacon (already cooked), cooked chicken breast meat, cheddar cheese, mozarella cheese, can of tomato sauce, olive oil, onion, garlic, broccoli, and carrots. Plus some fresh cilantro and fresh oregano (which she refused to use).

My aim was to steer her towards making pasta OR pizza, but I didn't suggest either. I told her to use the ingredients however she wanted, but that she didn't have to use ALL of them.... it was a little like "Iron Chef Kindergarden" (which I might add, would be great idea for a cooking show, they could call it "Kids Cook the Darndest Things").

I sat down in the adjacent family room to try to keep my VERY bossy nose out of things, while at the same time keeping a watchful eye, ready to leap into action if anything went up in flames.

Well, let me say this....boy am I glad that I had the foresight to request the "clean-up". Claire turned my kitchen upsidedown. But, she did pretty good with dinner and required very little help with the actually cooking. It took her forever to make the pizza as she was so precise, placing each piece of food "just so" on the crust. I was very proud (sniff, sniff) I think I may have spawned a new generation of food bloggers!

Seven Year Old Pizza

1 flatbread
2 carrots, chopped small
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 sliced bacon, chopped
1 cooked chicken breast, sliced
1 cup cheddar
1/2 cup mozzarella
parmesan cheese.

1. Spread tomato sauce on flatbread.

2. Sauté carrots and broccoli, add to pizza along with bacon, and chicken. Top with cheeses.

3. Bake at 400F for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese starts to brown.