Home Page

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Chicken Chimichangas


A while back I promised my friend Se7en, who designed this blog for me, some more Mexican recipes. We love these Chimichangas. I got this recipe from a friend who told me that they tasted exactly like the Chimichanga's at Chi Chi's Restaurant. Well, I don't think we've ever had a Chi Chi's in Canada, so I have no idea whether that claim is true. But, I do know that these taste really good. OK.... I just looked up Chi Chi's on Wikipedia and I can see that they went out of business in 2003 following a Hepatitis A outbreak that started at one of their locations.... so perhaps I shouldn't push the Chi Chi's angle too much.**

I have made these Chimichangas two ways - sometimes, when I am feeling naughty, I fry them in a little olive oil (I was feeling naughty the night we had these ones for dinner). Most of the time, I spray them lightly with cooking spray and bake them at 400F for about 20 minutes.

**Consuming raw or undercooked meat and/or fish may increase your risk of food borne illness (just covering ALL my bases).


Chicken Chimichangas

1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken
8-10 flour tortillas
1 cup refried beans
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups salsa
1/2 tsp cumin
1 pinch salt

1. Saute onion and garlic in oil.

2. Stir in salsa, spices, chicken and salt. Cook until heated through.

3. Spread about 2 tbsp of refried beans on each tortilla then add about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. Fold like a burrito and secure with a toothpick or metal skewer.

4. Spray all sides with cooking spray and bake at 400F for 20 minutes (until golden brown) OR fry in a small amount of olive oil until brown on both sides.

5. Serve with sour cream and guacamole.