Home Page

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Snickerdoodles


I really try not to buy too many store bought cookies for our family. In fact just about the only ones I actually buy are fig newtons, I love them and I'm not sure you could make them homemade with only 40 calories each (I might try sometime though, just for fun).

Cookies are really so easy to make and there are just so many different varieties. These ones, Snickerdoodles, are really no-fuss. The cookie dough is a little dry and so it doesn't spread out much in the oven on its own. That is why the recipe says to press them down with the bottom of a glass before you bake. I tried a few different thicknesses. One batch I flattened to about 1/3", others I left a little thicker. Mario and the kids preferred the ones that I didn't flatten too much because the inside stayed softer. The flattened ones were crispy throughout. So whichever you prefer....

Snickerdoodles

1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 cup flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Cream together the butter and the sugar. Beat in the egg, mixing well.

2. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Mixing until all is incorporated.

3. Mix 2 tbsp sugar with cinnamon and spread on a plate.

4. Roll cookie dough into balls the size of an eyeball (just kidding) the size of an egg yolk and roll in cinnamon sugar.

5. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.

6. Bake for 10 minutes at 400F.